Saturday, April 4, 2009

George

As a way of introduction my name is George Hugh and I'm one of the three riders during the fleche with Branson and Alan. Since Branson put me on the list of people who can add to the blog so I thought I would add at least one entry.

As Branson mentioned this will be my first fleche. While I'm a little trepidatious I'm relieved by the fact that we have 24 hours to cover the distance. And the best thing about this fleche is that it finally forced to get lights for my bike which has allowed me to save gas during my commute.

Since this is my first fleche I have tried to be as helpful as possible so that when I'm holding up the group they have some reason to wait for me! To that end I've been working on the cue sheet with Branson. I now have a new found respect for the many people who have supplied me with cue sheets in the past. Fortunately, the give and take between finding controls that offer the minimum distance and finding a route that doesn't force us to share the road with logging trucks is the type of task that I like to do. And it helped that Branson found a couple of control points that took us from Elkin to the Clover area!

So, with a week to go it's time to change gears from lying on the couch and not riding (but feeling guilty) to lying on the couch. I'm not sure my wife and son will understand but I can't risk being over-trained for the fleche!

No comments:

Post a Comment